Sufferers of Protruding/Bulging Eyes Need an Ophthalmic Examination Before Considering Surgery

I have uneven eyes. My left eye seems to be
more protruded outwards than the right eye. Can this be made even? Thank you for your question! You submitted a photo and a question saying
that your eyes are uneven and that one eye is more protuberant or bulging than the other
eye. And you’re asking what can be done for that. Well, unfortunately, with the limited
information of your question, I have to ask more questions to get a better detail in way
to help you understand the best choice of what to do. I’ll explain to you a little
bit of what I mean. I’m a cosmetic oculofacial plastic surgeon.
I’ve been practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. This means that
my background training was first in eye surgery before I did specialized training in oculoplastic
or oculofacial plastic surgery. This is surgery of the eyelids, the orbit, the bones around
the eyes and the space of the eye socket, the lacrimal system and the face. So dealing
with eyes that bulge is a significant part of what is the specialty of oculofacial plastic
surgeon. The most common issue that we deal with is
something called thyroid eye disease. Now thyroid eye disease is a condition and I’m
not saying that this is your situation for you but it’s important to learn about the
causes of an eye being bulging. But thyroid eye disease being the most common in terms
of just a general number of possible causes is a disease where the a certain antibodies
will actually cause the thyroid hormones to change as well as the position and appearance
of the eyes to change. It’s also referred to as Graves’ disease. Now going back to the question you submitted,
the first thing I would ask you in my practice would be if this is a change. Has this been
different to when you looked a year ago or two years ago or 5 years ago. If this is a
change, then you need to see an ophthalmologist as soon as you possibly can. It’s very important
to at least make the right diagnosis because a change in the eye position or the eyeball
position is something that needs to be evaluated. Usually that goes with some type of an imaging
study like a CT scan, CAT scan or MRI study because we always want to rule out some kind
of mass and it can be benign or malignant as well as conditions such as thyroid eye
disease. Now let’s say for argument’s sake that
this has been a stable appearance, then it’s possible that the shape of your eyeball is
a longer shape. It’s commonly seen in people with very hyperopia or very nearsighted. The
eyeball, instead of being, more of an egg shape is more of like a football shape. But
again, it goes back to the history of the symptoms and doing a proper ophthalmic examination.
Ophthalmic examination would include getting vision and testing as well as look inside
and behind the eye as well as taking some measurements of relative projection of the
eyes and other things that can be done without looking at a photo. So I think you need to educate yourself about
these causes, schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist to get the diagnosis. I
can tell you that we have done a lot of treatment of patients with thyroid eye disease and just
an example, and we would be able to do things as minimal as doing eyelid surgery to reposition
the eyelids to make the eyes look more symmetric to doing something like orbital decompression
to get the eyes to go inward. Again, these are all contingent or proper diagnosis. So
we don’t need to get ahead of ourselves at this point but at least education and some
knowledge and insight as this being a change and then getting the first line of evaluation
is very important so that you can have a plan at some point of what will work out best for
you. So I hope that was helpful, I wish you the
best of luck and thank you for your question!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *